1:1 device discussion

I am fascinated by the current discourse around compulsory devices for students.

On one hand I can understand the benefits of having access to a wide range of learning and research materials online, student motivation and differentiated learning due to media opportunities. Students could potentially initiate and direct their own learning pathways, transforming their own learning. What types of scaffolding would need to be in place for this to happen? How does this tie in with the NCEA standards and requirements? Is this constrained to the secondary sector or could it be as beneficial in primary contexts?

On the other hand, how can consistent 1:1 device use provide significant opportunities for learning through social interaction? I wonder how much this shows us about the pedagogical models that we rely on. What about thinking interdependently? In his TED talk, Sugata Mitra shared some of his findings of the ‘hole in the wall’ project. He found that a ratio of 1:4 for a device was most beneficial for achieving learning potential. Is the interdependence with the device or the relationships with others that they can access through their device?

I wonder where it will all lead… How will learning devices be used in 10 years?

References

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sugata_mitra_the_child_driven_education.html

The debate on 1:1 – ICT & Procurement, Vol. 2 Issue 5, Education Review Series, 2011.

One thought on “1:1 device discussion